Friday, February 12, 2016

Joey Albert: in Manila for Valentines

My long time idol (I have known her songs by heart since I was a toddler) --singer Joey Albert -- will have a concert in Manila this Valentines. 


Her songs lulled me to sleep as a child & comforted me as an emotional teen. They serve as anthems for the broken-hearted. She's like a living saint for sad hearts.

Imagine how ecstatic I am now that she knows that we exist in the same dimension. She's such an angel up close!

Joey shares my favorite song "Tell Me " takes on a new meaning as she faces adversity...and continues to battle with cancer.

If you really read thru the lines.. It's a short and quiet song. That's how surrender should be. Short and quick.
But there's an irony here. I do fight; there is a battle within me to keep my head above the water. The real battle with cancer is within yourself. There is a fight and yet the only way to win the fight is to surrender. It's very ironic

Joey reveals that she has a say in choosing who she would perform with in her concerts. She laughs that she can't see herself doing rap anytime soon. This Valentines, she's singing with another music icon-- Dennis Lambert.

Joey recalls when she met Dennis in one of their charity events for the first time.

I met Dennis for a fundraiser for typhoon Ondoy in San Francisco... Dennis loves the Philippines. He wants to do something for the Filipino people. He was surprised by their zest for him in 1997 and he didn't know he was big here. He had no idea; he was in shock! A few years later, I was commissioned to do a fundraiser for my church.. I braved myself to ask Dennis and he said Yes! So I'm bringing him back!

Joey sings and trudges in life as cheerfully as she can. She continues serving others in any way possible.

Life should be what inspires us.
It's a little more difficult physically but emotionally it's actually more inspiring. Things like that if taken with the right attitude, adversity can actually propell you to go further than you would have imagined you could go

Their one night only concert "Celebrate Love" happens on Feb 14, 8pm at the Theater in Solaire.

You have to fall in love again on Valentines. What better way than with my songs? Songs that meant so much when you were younger. These are the songs Dennis and I are going to bring back...Music has an esctatic way of transporting you back to the best times of your life and make you fall in love all over again and remember all your old boyfriends and girlfriends.

I just love Joey Albert. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi there! We love your article on Ms. Joey Albert. We were beaming with pride as we continued reading. Did you know po ba na she has a Youtube channel now? It's called Dear Joey https://www.youtube.com/c/dearjoey and it's been comforting people during this pandemic. You can actually send her a letter or your story at writedearjoey@gmail.com, and she personally responds to each letter and sings them pa a song.

    ReplyDelete